So is China flexing its muscles in India's strategic space and what should India's response be?
A clumsily worded sentence on the website of China's Shipbuilding Industry Corporation sparked off a firestorm on the internet that the Chinese military's biggest shipyard was going to build a nuclear powered aircraft carrier with reactors probably based on its existing submarine reactors. Within days, the words were off the website, but it tied in with Indian naval assessments that China was planning a permanent and sustainable strategic thrust into the Indian Ocean 2,500 miles away from its coast and through which bulk of its energy supplies pass.
Retired Rear Admiral Raja Menon said, "These are potential places, but whether they become bases, that's a big leap, because that means accepting Indian hostility to giving a base to China. From that point of view the best bet would be Gwadar because they already face anti-Indian opinion."
Dr Sreekanth Kondapalli, Chinese Navy analyst, said, "Being a regional local navy and power, India has huge territorial advantage by being closer to the IOR, yet India cannot claim ownership to the region because it is the third largest ocean with open navigation principles."
Naval strategists say India should build its own nuclear powered aircraft carrier and counter China in the east and south China seas. It should also form alliances with the Japanese and Korean navies with the aim being to tie down large elements of the Chinese navy.
That apart, a maritime dialogue between the two navies covering the Indian Ocean and South China Sea, would be a useful confidence building measure. But China is reluctant, while it does not see the Indian Ocean as India's Ocean, its recent actions have clearly demonstrated that the SCS is China's own.
ibn live


5 Comments
You are so awesome! I do not suppose I have read through a
ReplyDeletesingle thing like this before. So nice to find someone with a few genuine thoughts on this issue.
Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing
that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality!
Visit my blog: related site
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog
ReplyDeletethat automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
Also visit my page Nike Free Run
Hello! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
ReplyDeleteI'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had
issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
Here is my website - Casque Beats (http://www.beyonddelay.com/beatsbydre.html)
Asking questions are really good thing if you are not understanding
ReplyDeletesomething completely, except this paragraph provides nice understanding even.
my webpage :: Air Jordan Pas Cher
Do you have any video of that? I'd like to find out more details.
ReplyDeleteAlso visit my weblog - web site